I am trying to start with a fairly easy, but nevertheless realistic kind of pipeline... The choice is influenced by some pipelines I saw working in production. Of course, it's simplified.
Pipeline #1. Simple pipeline w/ artifact and manual trigger
- commit stage -- compiles the code, executes unit tests and produces a war artifact
- deploy to staging -- deploys the war file to a staging test server
- acceptance test -- executes the
- deploy to production -- deploys the war file to production
Ok, a fairly easy one. But how it should be configured in detail?
- triggering -- The last step is to be started manually, all others are triggered automatically.
- version control - The first build uses a version control checkout for the application code, the 2nd and 4th one a checkout from a deployment code repo and the tests are located in another repository.